Frequently Asked Questions

Code Enforcement

I believe my neighbor has code violations on their property. What should I do?

Please contact The Department of Code Enforcement by phone, or via our Township website. An inspector will be assigned to do an inspection and determine if there are any violations.

I submitted a code complaint and nothing has been done.

Although it may not seem like any progress has been made on a particular property, there may have been many steps taken in order to get the violations corrected. 

Can I testify in court against my neighbor?

Yes, please contact the code department to coordinate. To view court dates, please visit the magisterial judicial website. Court dates will appear once the hearing has been scheduled. If you do not see a date, the hearing has not yet been scheduled.

How do I get the Township to condemn a house?

Please contact us and request an inspection of the property

How do I find out if a building is condemned?

Condemned Buildings will have a notice of condemnation affixed to each entrance.

Can I request to have the Township demolish my building?

No, property owners are responsible for their own property resolutions. You must obtain a demolition permit from our office before removing any structures, including garages.

Can I go onto my neighbor’s property or a vacant lot and clean it up?

Code Enforcement cannot authorize anyone to enter property without the owner’s permission. 

What can be done about junk vehicles?

If someone is storing a vehicle that is not inspected or registered on their property, this is a code violation. Please call our office to alert us of the violation and we will send the owner notice to remove the vehicle. If the vehicle is located on the street, this is a Police issue. Please contact 814-833-7777 to alert the Police.

Someone dumped on my property. What do I do?

Without any evidence of who did the dumping such as photos or videos that can lead to a specific person or company, the property owner is responsible to clear the property of debris.


Why did my business receive a notice of violation in the mail for fire alarm, fire extinguishers, sprinkler system documentation, etc.?

Our inspectors will be proactively inspecting buildings to make sure all required documentation and fire systems are up to date.Please contact your inspector to rectify any fire safety violations.

Can I refuse a fire inspection?

IFC 104.3,  Right of entry states: Where it is necessary to make an inspection to enforce the provisions of this code, or where the fire code official has reasonable cause to believe that there exists in a building or upon any premises any conditions or violations of this code that make the building or premises unsafe, dangerous or hazardous, the fire code official shall have the authority to enter the building or premises at all reasonable times to inspect or to perform the duties imposed upon the fire code official by this code. If such building or premises is occupied, the fire code official shall present credentials to the occupant and request entry. If such building or premises is unoccupied, the fire code official shall first make a reasonable effort to locate the owner, the owner’s authorized agent or other person having charge or control of the building or  premises and request entry. If entry is refused, the fire code official has recourse to every remedy provided by law to secure entry.

Do I need to use a Third Party Agency for Fire Inspections?

Fire Inspections are not inspected by third party agencies.

Do I need to use a Third Party Agency for Fire plans review?

Fire plan review is currently required to be reviewed and approved by a third party agency. Contact Building Inspection Underwriters for plan review. An additional set of plans must be submitted to our office and may be emailed to 

Do I need a permit for sprinkler or fire alarm maintenance?

It depends on the extent of the work. Contact Building Inspection Underwriters to review requirements.

Do I need a sprinkler system or a fire alarm system in my building?

Please contact a registered design professional to evaluate your specific situation.

Can I remove fire hose from my building if it isn’t being used?

No, you cannot remove fire hose from your building without an evaluation from a registered design professional.

Does my fire alarm or sprinker have to be registered with Millcreek Township?

Currently, Millcreek Township does not have a permit requirement for fire alarm or sprinkler systems. It is anticipated that beginning in 2019, all new and existing systems will be required to have a current and valid permit.