Embrace Millcreek is the name for the Township's comprehensive plan. It is structured around five focus areas that were identified through surveys, neighborhood meetings, stakeholder interviews, and analysis of existing conditions and trends. The focus areas are:
- Create a Distinctive and High Quality Gateway District to Presque Isle
- Strengthening Neighborhood Investment
- Position Commercial Corridors for Adaptation and Redevelopement
- Support Business Development
- Promote Strong and Sustainable Stewardship of Township Infrastructure
These focus areas reflect Millcreek's priorities and respond to the trends shaping our community and to needs expressed by our residents, businesses, and institutions. Each focus area has a defined set of actions and initiatives for the Township and its partners to pursue in coming years and can be easily adapted to reflect new opportunities and conditions that emerge.
- April 2016 - Planning Commissioners attend a seminar on how to prepare an implementable comprehensive plan.
- May & June 2016 - The Planning Commission begins work on the comprehensive plan during a series of work sessions.
- July & August 2016 - An online survey is advertised to gather resident's opinions on what services they consider important and to grade the Township on the delivery of those services. The survey receives over 1,000 responses.
- Fall 2016 - Additional work sessions are held to review the results of the survey and develop the areas of concern and opportunity that the plan should focus on.
- Early 2017 - The Township issued Requests for Proposals seeking a consultant to assist in the preparation of the plan. czbLLC from Alexandria, VA is ultimately selected to prepare the Embrace Millcreek comprehensive plan.
- July 2017 - A series of four neighborhood meetings were held throughout the Township. Residents attended meetings at Belle Valley, J.S. Wilson, Grandview, and Westlake Schools to share what they like about their neighborhoods and what they felt could be improved. This input was invaluable in shaping the direction of the focus areas. It was from these meetings that the Infrastructure Focus Area was developed to address concerns relating to road and stormsewer conditions. The Presque Isle Gateway focus area was strengthened when Peninsula Drive and West 8th Street were ranked at the top of the most important corridors at each of these meetings.
- Fall 2017 - czb holds stakeholder meetings with a wide array of Township residents and business owners. Work sessions involving the Planning Commission and Township staff were held and czb analyzed demographic and business performance data for both Millcreek and the region as a whole.
- January 2018 - Two public meetings were held where czb presented emerging concepts for the focus areas and sought feedback on the costs and trade-offs required to implement the ideas. These concepts were also available online for review and comment at embracemillcreek.com.
- Spring 2018 - czb reviewed comments received from the meetings and online. The compiled data was incorporated into the first draft of the Embrace Millcreek comprehensive plan.
- May 24, 2018 - The Public Draft of the plan was presented at a public meeting at McDowell Intermediate.
- May & June, 2018 - The Public Draft was posted online and comments were accepted at embracemillcreek.com.
- July 3, 2018 - A Final Draft was submitted to the Planning Commission at their July 3, 2018 regular meeting. After hearing public comments, the Commission forwarded the plan to the Board of Supervisors, thereby beginning the adoption process.
- July & August, 2018 - A required 45-day Municipal Comment Period was held, allowing adjoining municipalities, the Millcreek Township School District, and the Erie County Department of Planning and Community Development an opportunity to review the plan and submit their thoughts and concerns.
- August 28, 2018 - The Board of Supervisors passed Resolution 2018-R-35, officially adopting Embrace Millcreek as the Township's comprehensive plan.