MILLCREEK TOWNSHIP STATEMENT ON RED AIR QUALITY INDEX
For Immediate Release: June 28, 2023
MILLCREEK, PA – Out of an abundance of caution Millcreek Township is cancelling some parks and recreation classes that may affect sensitive groups and open swimming. This is due to the Code Red Action Day declared by the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection (PA DEP) for June 28, 2023.
As of 10:30 a.m. the air quality index (AQI) is 186. This is designated unhealthy by airnow.gov, a website of the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). According to the EPA these are the following steps to take through red air quality.
People with heart or lung disease, older adults, children and teens – take any of these steps to reduce your exposure:
• Avoid strenuous outdoor activities.
• Keep outdoor activities short.
• Consider moving physical activities indoors or rescheduling them.
Everyone else – take any of these steps to reduce your exposure:
• Choose less strenuous activities (like walking instead of running) so you don’t breathe as hard.
• Shorten the amount of time you are active outdoors.
• Be active outdoors when the air quality is better.
Additional cancellations include the Sunset Music Series at Presque Isle.
Continue to monitor the relevant information from the PA DEP, airnow.gov, the Millcreek Township website and Millcreek Township social media. Please contact Millcreek Township Parks and Recreation for more details on any affected classes and continue to monitor social media.